Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Perot Gems, Ollie The Wino, & Unnecessary Suicides...

Friendship at first sight... 
I don't think I've slept in two days, but I'm off work this week, and I have projects with deadlines and of artistic nature; I'm on a creative spur that seems to only be inspired during the wee hours of the night, of course. Also, my best friend Staci is heading back to Houston today. Our latest BFF retreat, which we're lucky to have maybe twice a year, went by too fast. I'm hoping this time I've convinced her to get back to the D. Because despite S being pragmatic and practical, and like a member of Mensa, she's the Monica to my Phoebe that has remained by my non-Mensa ass since day one. And by day one I mean AXO bid day '09 at SMU, where we awkwardly met on a brick wall, awkwardly dancing, because we're awkward and everything sorority rush is awkward.

Meet Ollie, the wino lab... 
But we've spent the past few hours watching The Mindy Project with Ollie, our beloved dog that's not actually our dog. We tend to have a habit of adopting animals, or voluntarily parenting other people's pets, because that's just what certified cat ladies do, I guess... (One more quirk confirming our best-friend-for-lifeship.) Prior to this we ate enough Pluckers chicken wings for the Duggar family. We also floated around the pool earlier, basking in the good 'ole Texas sun, which ultimately knocked us out like a bunch of old grannies.

And, since I'm just telling our entire itinerary at this point I might as well mention that prior to granny pool time we hit up the downtown El Fenix after visiting the Perot Museum (of Nature and Science, if you wanna be formal.). And you guys... it was just awesome. We were insanely impressed. Without a doubt Perot is the best museum in Dallas right now. Every employee we came across (which was many because Staci and I talk to everyone) was friendly and beyond professional. And I must give a huge shoutout to my girl Eveline, one of the most genuine and fabulous humans that I'm lucky to have as a friend, for hooking us up and getting us involved. It takes a lot to impress Staci and I if we've had no sleep, no Starbucks, and/or are surrounded by 9,250 school children field-tripping. But the Perot won us over so much that we gave fancy, little, 5-star Yelp reviews, so snaps to everyone.

Many snaps of appreciation to
Ms. Lyda Hall for this here gem... 
And as jewelry fanatics obviously the Lyda Hill Gems and Minerals Hall was the winner in our book. We actually read stuff, drooled over all 5,031 gems, and took our time passing through the hall like actual adults. Which was remarkable, because when my ADHD combines with Staci's in a public venue like a museum, things can get chaotic quick. After about ten seconds at something like an exhibit we're moving on to the next thing. But we make for one productive duo when shopping. Seriously, if you're a Taurus, go find an Aquarius, and make her be your best friend.

Biscuits for dayz...
Lastly, despite my snark above on being tired or without Starbucks, I'm not complaining about anything. Today was fabulous. So was yesterday. And the day before that. Because the Monday passing of Robin Williams reminded me again just how powerful depression can be, and that being alive is a really great thing. I've given a lot of thought on the blogs, statuses, and op-eds from the past 72 hours resulting from his death, which will go down in Hollywood history as one of the most sad, shocking, and thought-provoking. The suicide woke up many moral compasses since it wasn't the "norm," and nobody saw it coming. This is why we lost one of the greatest comedians ever to an illness that's the product of the human ego.

Chit-chatting about mental illness makes people uncomfortable, but I think attending a funeral is more uncomfortable than having a conversation, no? I've dealt with depression for seven years. And I know the thoughts, and pains, and I've played the denial game. It sucks. And I beat it, barely, but this is why I think talking to people and making them feel human and loved is so important. Acknowledging someone costs nothing. Because how nobody cared enough to notice the agonizing pain and loneliness plaguing Robin Williams to the point of death is beyond me.