Tuesday, July 8, 2014

how my dad made me a strong woman...

got my sense of humor from this one... 
I just watched the #LikeAGirl video by Always for the first time and I teared up. Okay, I'll be honest, I cried half of a river. Only for maybe twenty seconds, but still, it disgusted me and made me want to take every unconfident, underdog girl under my wing and hug them. And that says something about my generation and this world. Because this whole feminist movement thing is on the cusp and sadly "it" should've been on the "cusp" thirty years ago. Or fifty. Oh wait, it was. But it takes a long time for anything good to occur in America, I guess. So, it is what it is, and as a feminist I'll do and support whatever it takes to continue this momentum. Because this Naomi Wolf-worshipping momma loves it.

But here's the thing... I've never in my life felt sorry for myself because I was a girl, despite being the Lena Dunham-loving, Amy Poehler-worshipping biatch that I am. Yeah, I wanted to be thinner and prettier in high school, but that was because of the mean girls. Never because of a boy. None of them met my standards, to be honest. I never felt less adequate to my male cohorts, though, despite being a 90's kid/prime Millennial female. And I've thought for hours upon hours on this as to why so many of my girlfriends have felt these extreme pressures and I honestly haven't. And I think it's because of my Dad. He's never once in his life told me to wear my pearls, or dress better for the guys, or lose weight because of this or that, or talk a certain way to sound "lady-like." Never. My dad's only suggestions for me have been to get a job I love and take care of the car that he got me at sixteen. That's it. The only request he ever has has for me nowadays is to pick up the latest habanero hot sauce at the store or google the best resort in Florida. Nothing more. Yeah, when I've hit my Debbie Downer low points in life he's been the one to b*tch at me to pick myself up and stop having a pity party, but that's about it. Nothing offensive, feminist-ically, ever. (Is that a word? I just made it a word.) He's treated me like a child. Not like a daughter or son.

He has also treated my mother with the utmost respect since the day I was born. I know nothing else than mother rules the roost and father just follows. Albeit, they both respect each other and are madly, disgustingly in love, even after 500,000 years. But when I think about my friends' experiences in "being female," the ones with emotionally abusive fathers are the ones who have so many issues it's not even funny. My dad pushed me to be an all-star softball player since I was five years old. And he taught me how to catch a fish, hunt, ride a four-wheeler, change a tire, eat deer jerky the fun way, etc., and never once in my life mentioned "how to do it this way for the girls" or tailored his lessons because I was his daughter, and not son. And he may not realize it, but he molded a strong ass woman doing just those things. And he is why I truly believe I am the strong woman that I am today. It's also why I think I'm single at twenty-four without having any real, meaningful, prior relationships. It's hard to find a respectable male out there that can meet the standards of my Dad. Yep. See how I capitalize Dad? That's how much Doug means to me. He's the sh*ts, you guys. 
Doug never made me feel feminine about posing with a rabbit.

So, after showing both of my parents this video about twenty minutes ago, you know who had no negative comment about it? My Dad. Wendy had an entire opinion on it, as per usual, but Doug just nodded his head, took dinner to the table, and asked how hot I thought his latest picked pepper was. And that's what makes me proud in terms of being a girl power advocate, as cheesy as that sounds. He's made me feel free to speak my opinion around men. I f*cking love him and I thank God for him because he's taught me so much, and I know I'm blessed to be one of the few females to have a Dad that supports raising a strong daughter. Who would've thought that a man would be behind this girl's quest to promote and motivate all women?