Saturday, July 26, 2014

How I Learned To Bond With My Younger Sister...

I'm twenty-four years old and my sister just turned nineteen this past February. We are polar opposites. As in Sarah Palin to Wendy Davis polar opposites. We've hardly ever seen eye-to-eye and have historically been one another's arch nemesis. Not normal, I know. She's the mathematician of the family and I'm the non-mathematician one. She doesn't talk to anybody and I never shut up. She's blonde and I'm brunette. I could go on and on. But, our parents raised us both to be strong, independent, Alpha females and that's exactly what we are. We are so similar sometimes that it's disgusting and neither one of us will admit to it. Except for me when I've had a little too much cab sauv, and am blogging about it for the sake of letting every weird, older sibling out there in the same situation know that IT WILL GET BETTER. (I'm the emotional, therapy-thirsty one, okay?) Obviously I have to express my feelings for others. Morgan, on the other hand, wears a poker face 100% of the time; good luck getting to know how she feels about the slightest thing, because she's a tough one to crack.

But oddly enough, I know her. I grew up with her. I was the one that bounced her too high on the trampoline when she was three and messed up her front baby teeth. I was the one that had to hold her whining tail during countless family portrait sessions in the nineties. I was also the one that dropped her as an infant trying to play mom, and we had to rush her to Charlton Methodist to make sure she wasn't dead. And I'm the one that will knock your front teeth out (possibly on a trampoline) if you ever say a negative word about her. Yeah, yeah, I'll probably break something, and start dramatically crying, and she'll be the one to have to haul me to the hospital at that point, because nothing fazes her.

But the point is, this past month I've had one evening to hang out with her, and the entire evening my sister and I sat in a huge mess on my bedroom floor crafting mugs for my level four improv class at the DCH. She's a crafter. She can design, paint, draw, create, etc. anything. She's got skillz. And I know she loves it, despite going to school for accounting. I can see it in her eyes when she spends six hours making a painting for her dorm room wall. And I seriously wish I had her talent but would obviously never tell her this. Because, ya know, older sister "ego" and stuff. And we rarely hang out, let alone hang out with no argument; so when she's happy, and crafting with me, I'm happy. I also put my Pandora station on the Goo Goo Dolls and she loved it. When she said, "heck yes don't turn it!" as 'Slide' came on, I was like, "Oh my God, we are blood relatives." And that's when I, the older, wiser sibling realized that it all takes time for everything to fall into place. *Cue cliche eye roll*

Some siblings are BFFs from the day they come out of the womb. Some never speak. Some are normal. We're all different. But Morgan and I have had a weird relationship for the longest and I never thought we'd reach the point that we did the other night. We were actually hanging out and having fun. And as the older one I kind of have guilt in this because I should've known sooner what makes her "tick" and open up, but I'm just glad that I've found it now. It's a relief, honestly. I love it. And I love her. And I vote that anybody out there struggling with a weirdo, younger sibling just go to Michael's, buy some mugs to craft, and go to town.