Thursday, May 22, 2014

Journey, Donuts, & A Move To NYC...

Before I begin writing nonsense I must say that today I started a new Reba station on the Pandora and I'm currently listening to 'I'm in a Hurry' by Alabama, which is one of my all-time faves, so I think that my happiness level as I begin this post is pretty close to a 12 on a scale of 1-10. So that's good for everyone involved.

Music, I tell ya, it's just one of the greatest things. There are probably 500 songs, roughly, stored in my noggin' with so many memories attached. Not to get all sappy and nostalgic here, but isn't that just one of the f*cking greatest things about music? I think so. I can listen to Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls and think of my golden, no-worry, childhood years. Or I can hear Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' and instantly go into SMU-Boulevard mode. And if 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls comes on, oh sh*t, you better get ready for me to go into theatre/Brown U regrets mode and jam out 'til my emotional heart is content again. My best friend Staci knows this all too well. And if 'Happy' by Pharrell or 'No Place I'd Rather Be' by Clean Bandit/Jess Glynne comes on, this sister will go into my Park City ski trip lane real quick. Thanks to my other BFF Kelly for those.

The list goes on and on. Anyways, I've been working on my homework assignments for writing class and applying to NYC jobs for the majority of the day. Yep, I'm back out on the market. We should all know by now that New York was never a phase. Three, four, five years later, I still have my eyes on the prize that is Manhattan. The 'rents are finally supportive and the inevitable is here. It's scary but exciting. I've been in Texas for twenty-four years, but the only constant in my life is change so I'm ready for the shake-up. So, fingers crossed, I'll be on the island by 2015. That's my goal at least. We shall see... I'm having a pretty good time in Dallas with some pretty awesome people right now so I'm not rushing anything. Life is good. There are no complaints. And who knows, I could be hit by a DART bus trying to get Glazed donuts at 2AM next week so why should I focus on the future too much if it may never happen... (sorry for the morbid-ness).

I've also been shopping around for the perfect housewarming gifts for one of the most awesome humans ever, Maggie Rieth. She was my very first improv instructor at DCH and I adore her dearly. (God I sound like Rose's mom from Titanic saying the previous line). Like Staci, I, too, enjoy shopping for sh*t like that. As much of a feminist as I proclaim to be, I do have an inner housewife persona that I channel frequently. Kind of like Tara Gregson's alter, Alice, from United States of Tara. I also (this will be the last 'also,' I promise) have been picking out my favorite comedy-esque films of all time to watch/analyze for my own writing class benefit. And the winners are... The Squid and the Whale, my all-time favorite movie EVER; Bridesmaids, duh; Burn After Reading; and Young Adult. So get ready for the next blog post where I attempt to sound like some smart film critic.

And hoorah for the sketch shows tonight at DCH. Radio Artists and the Ewing teams. Go watch 'em if you haven't already. And go google it if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

*pics below are two of my favorite scenes from The Squid and the Whale...